Our background is 20 years in adult education and hospitality.
In adult education, IPMS was created in 1998 and runs leadership programmes regarded by its customers as bleeding edge because we develop the whole individual, the whole being. Our learning programmes focus on providing robust leadership and management tools and methods as well as the pursuant competencies. Each student is measured on the execution of these within their role and against their performance objectives. Over 20 years IPMS Global has developed and maintained a first class pedigree and reputation. We work with a faculty of Master Trainers, all highly successful individuals in their own rights, who have chosen to be part of the IPMS international faculty.
Programmes references: see www.ipmsglobal.com – tabs under IPMS Leadership Programmes/Our Programmes.
In hospitality, IPMS acquired the Gresham Court Hotel in 1999.
We renovated a crumbling 1850 Victorian hotel to its former splendour and glory. Offering 34 club-class bedrooms, a library, boardroom and conference rooms, fibre optic wifi and PC’s in every bedroom, it was the first state-of-the-art business class hotel in the UK. We owned the business, trained every member of staff in the style of Ed Mady, former GM of the Ritz Carlton, San Francisco and ran the business as an example of world class hospitality. We have taken the same approach with our eCALA team and eCALA Life!
The eCALA Life team
All handpicked individuals, our team is experienced, confident and capable – and each is IPMS trained, in the style of our mentor, Ed Mady, former GM of the Ritz Carlton, San Francisco.
We have an impressive staff to customer ratio of 1:3 – this compares to 1:4 in a 5* hotels – so there is always a team member around, including to bring you 24 hour dome-service! On site at eCALA we are uniformed in comfortable clothes so you can easily identify us.
We practise the philosophy of ‘servant leadership’, meaning each of us is enabled to support and make decisions on every aspect of your experience. Our service is easy, simple and without an unnecessary hierarchy, which can be so annoying when you need something. That means, for example, that while we each have individual responsibilities, the person you make a request of, will be the person who delivers what you requested.
Our team’s mantra is respectfully adopted from Ed Mady, “We are ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen”, which encourages a culture of mutual respect and excellence in service.
Creator of eCALA: Jacques Marais
I was lucky enough to start my working life with absolutely nothing – just me, a suitcase and the world ahead of me. I have always loved solving problems, seeing what is possible not what is impossible – impossible just means I chose the incorrect path at that time. I am the perpetual student with a passion for how people think, decide and act. I am a lover of systems thinking, Socratic questioning and with not knowing the answer. I prefer to be delightfully surprised when the correct answer pops up!
My corporate career included setting up and running sales forces; training multitudes of sales and operations managers; implementing huge change projects and running ever growing retail teams and regions. I worked in big corporate and was part of the machine until one day my boss, the CEO, shared these immortal words:
“One day you’ll be me and you’ll be 50+. You will discover that you’ve reached the top of the ladder but it’s against the wrong wall… be very careful with just climbing to the top.”
I quit that day.
When I set up my own business, IPMS Global, I retrained in Goldratt systems thinking and business process engineering at the AGI Goldratt Centre in New Haven USA. Today I am still learning and all my experiences help me to design leadership toolkits, programmes and eCALA in a manner that enables our students to change their worlds.
Our ethos and learning philosophy
The Moral Compass is a much used term these days but it originates over 6,000 years ago, first described in the iChing (the Chinese Book of Change) as the Circle of Integrity, used to guide our personal journey through life.
Our ethos is ‘breathe, laugh, learn’. Without learning we will not resolve, solve or evolve. We are equally as passionate about the whole BEING – finding space and time to breathe as well as room to laugh with no inhibitions. These three elements of the ethos exist simultaneously in all we do from within our team, to everything we teach and host at eCALA Life.
Our learning philosophy is ‘planet, people, profit’, which infers a direct and conscious awareness of the consequences and implications of everything we decide, do and repeat. Without preaching, we just gently raise awareness through everything we have decided, done and repeated at eCALA. We don’t need to litter the world with concrete or empty plastic water bottles or to build sewerage systems that contaminate the water table.
Our teachers and the teaching
Our teachers are exceptional, qualified and insured.
- Royal Academy of Arts, London, trained artist and art teacher
- Greece’s leading ceramicist and ceramics teacher
- British Canoe Union certified 4 star sea kayak leader
- Senior Energy Arts Tai Chi instructor – one of only several in the world
- Pátmos’ most renowned tour and walking guides
- Pátmos’ most renowned historian, photographer and music teacher
- YogaWorks Senior Teacher Trainer and European YogaWorks Partner Advisor, Anna Zorzou, and senior teachers
- Internationally qualified and experienced European Pilates teachers – our Pilates teachers are all teacher trainers and examiners (a rare opportunity to access instruction at this level!)
- Award winning British writers, who are also, importantly, qualified and experienced to teach
- RunningWithUs senior coaches, who manage and coach various national level squads, contribute regularly to leading running publications and consult to the biggest sports brands
- A Master in the Reiki Usui Shiki Rhoyo tradition, who as well as holding an exceptionally strong lineage (Mikao Usui, Chujiro Hayashi, Hawayo Takata, Wanja Twan, Krishni Borang), is a gifted, intuitive and much loved teacher
eCALA programmes are not just experiential. In keeping with our learning philosophy, each is focused on results as well as relaxation, and all our Restore, Move and Create teachers have been selected for their experience and teaching method. eCALA promotes your learning above all so if you want to know more about your programme teacher or you would like to recommend a teacher to eCALA Life, please contact us.
You, the student, and your learning
- Stressed out, no time to think or breathe, let alone laugh?
- Want to learn a new skill or deepen a current practice, but life is leaving no time and energy for after work or weekends?
- Have specific areas to develop and improve in your business and/or as a leader?
- Not really a sitting around on holiday kind of person?
- Remember when you used to exercise/create/sing/write more? And laugh and breathe more deeply? Need to get back to that?
- Or just need some sun, time out or TLC?
- Like the idea of the company of other (normal!) people but without the shades of hippy?
Our guests include those with specific skills-building goals, and those on a purposeful yet peaceful well being holiday. We welcome people paying for themselves, and those who are corporate sponsored whether onto our leadership and management programmes or our personal well being programmes.
Tell us what you need from eCALA Life! That’s what we’re all about.